Why Hire a Certified Specialist in Family Law
The decisions you make in divorce and family law proceedings can affect you the rest of your life. Why trust your situation to a less experienced lawyer when you can have a California certified specialist in family law? Only a small percentage of attorneys may consider themselves a “certified specialist” in a particular practice area. Lawyers that hold this title have met strict demands laid out by their state’s bar. They have extensive experience and they have demonstrated success in their field.
Becoming a Certified Specialist in Family Law
To be certified by the State Bar of California, a lawyer must:
- Have engaged in the area of certification for at least 25 percent over the last five years
- Be an active member of the State Bar of California
- Pass a written exam
- Show a high level of experience and achievement in the area
- Complete at least 45 hours of continuing legal education in their selected area
- Be in favorable standing with peers and judges
Certification as a specialist in family law requires that the attorney demonstrate considerable experience in handling family law matters including:
- Child custody and visitation
- Spousal support /alimony
- Child support
- Property division
The lawyer must also show substantial involvement in the family law area, as demonstrated by court, hearing and counseling participation. For more information, see the State Bar of California Web site.
If you feel that you may have a potential case pertaining to family law please call (805) 879-7523 or click here to email us and have an attorney contact you about your case.